" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

Mango Tango

Canada's food guide says that we are to have 7 to 8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
That seems like a lot doesn't it?
I am embarrassed to admit this but I am not huge fan of raw fruit.
I mean I know fruit is good for you and all that but honestly, with the exception of bananas I just don't like the texture and taste. However I just love fruit when incorporated into main dishes. Favorites that come to mind are Apple Pork Chops and Peach Chicken.

Mangoes are an extremely versatile fruit. They go with just about any meat, seafood and quite a few vegetables. This salsa is a great accompaniment to grilled meats or fish or is great just on its own with pita or tortilla chips.
I placed some on top of Rainbow Trout as pictured here and baked it it the oven.
The flavors really blended together beautifully.


What a great way to fit in those 7-8 servings of fruit and vegetables.


Mango Salsa
  • 2 ripe mangoes peeled and diced
  • 1 ripe tomato diced
  • 1/2 red or Spanish onion diced
  • 1 tsp each of minced garlic, basil, parsley, sugar and chili powder.
  • 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve as a condiment or spoon over meat or fish and bake in the oven.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! Mango Salsa. We always try to find it at Spanish/Mexican Restaurants. Nice blog and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salsa:) This looks like a good one...fruity salsas are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Free Web Site Counter